Removing and/or hiding some older elements of the site and blog.
Whoa! Almost two years since I posted anything on my blog. Been doing Producer-y things, so haven't had a lot of time to do any doodling. A few months ago I decided to remedy that by making some alters for a few of my newest "Magic: The Gathering" commanders.
Just did a quick goofy cartoon for each; tried to loosely base each one on the color schemes of the original cards' art. Got 'em printed out on glossy card stock. Next, placed each print inside of a KMC perfect-fit sleeve along with the actual real version of each respective card. Finally, double sleeved in the deck sleeves as normal.
From left to right:
Some fun character sketches I did for a D&D campaign. Hadn't drawn anything in a while, and felt like it was long overdue.
The pixie draws influence from the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor faeries in the Magic: The Gathering universe. I've always loved how they had creepy insect parts incorporated into them.
Bulbapedia's Type Chart
Pokemon, a classic turn-based RPG series, has always been grounded in a base system of checks and balances: the "type" (or "Element") of each Pokemon has a concrete set of strengths and weaknesses. Some of these traits are inherently obvious; Fire melts Ice. Some, however, are somewhat less so; Ground-type Pokemon are particularly strong against Poison-types. Once you add several strategic factors in to the mix-- critical hits, attack accuracy, passive stats and abilities, Pokemon with multiple typings, Pokemon learning attack types outside of their respective typing, and so on-- you are left with a surprisingly deep and interesting core mechanic. The basic concepts here are simple enough for a child to grasp... after all, Pokemon at its core is a simple game of Rock-Paper-Scissors. However, the layers of strategy available to players has given Pokemon a serious competitive following (see premiere competitive Pokemon site, Smogon).
For more information on Pokemon types, visit Bulbapedia's Type Chart, pictured above. You can also find a more comprehensive write-up on Pokemon typing at the Pokemon Wikia, and a Hybrid Type Chart from Pokemon news site Serebii.net.
[Click READ MORE below for more...]
A screen grab from my current project, Elesh Norn, a character from the "Magic: The Gathering" universe (check out the actual card here).
I started this project as way to get back into character modeling from a piece of concept art. I decided to go a little bit higher on the tri count than normal; she's at about 11,500 tris. Moving into the sculpting stage now... should be fun!
The capstone prototype I worked on at FIEA, "Dead West," was featured on Game Career Guide! This wonderful write-up was done by Pat Dietz, our design lead and original creator of "Dead West."
Check it out!
In other news, transitioning to my new position at Zynga (and by that, I mean the winter gaming glut) hasn't left me a lot of free time for personal projects, but I haven't forgotten about Verdigris! I have Zbrush; now I just need to sit down and get to work!
... just let me finish this... one... Flashpoint in SW:TOR first...
With the glut of the 2011 gaming season now in full-force, I haven't had much time for independent projects, so I pulled myself away from Battlefield 3 for a few minutes to do a modeling and design concept: a League of Legends Champion!
And I've also started on the modeling; I wanted to started sculpting him today, but I no longer have access to Zbrush! Sadface! Santa will have to bring me a copy for Christmas.
WIP: His current iteration is sitting around 5k tris. Click "READ MORE" below to see what I've penned up for his abilities so far!
Oh, look! I wrote a tutorial. Does what it says on the tin (hopefully). Regardless, I learned a lot by writing it, so there's that!
I used some of the techniques in the guide to make the hi-poly sculpt of the MSBU, also below for your viewing pleasure. Click on it the image to expand. :D
Finally managed to get a few decent renders up in my portfolio; all I'm missing is a couple screenshots from "Erado" (getting the old package files to work with the newest UDK engine has been taxing ), and perhaps a couple .swf files from my job to show off some Flash skills.